2017 Bronze National Quality Award
by Jeanine Genauer
Juniper Village Wellspring Memory Care at Brookline, Juniper Village at Lebanon, Juniper Village at Meadville, Juniper Village at Mount Joy, Juniper Village at Williamstown and Juniper Village Wellspring Memory Care at Williamstown have all been recognized as 2017 recipients of the Bronze – Commitment to Quality Award for their dedication to improving the lives of residents through quality care. The distinction is one of three progressive award levels through the National Quality Award Program, presented by the American Health Care Association and National Center for Assisted Living (AHCA/NCAL), the leading association for long term and post-acute care. The program honors association members across the nation that have demonstrated their commitment to improving quality of care for seniors and persons with disabilities.
These six Juniper Communities join Juniper Village Senior Living at Brookline and Juniper Village Rehabilitation and Skilled Care at Brookline 2016 recipients of this prestigious award.
The National Quality Award Program, which AHCA/NCAL established in 1996, is based on the core values and criteria of the Baldrige Performance Excellence Program, which is also the foundation of the metric-based AHCA/NCAL Quality Initiative. The Baldrige program helps organizations in different business sectors improve and achieve performance excellence.
The Award Program has three levels: Bronze, Silver, and Gold. Providers begin the quality improvement process at the Bronze level, where they develop an organizational profile with essential performance elements such as vision, mission statement, and key strengths and challenges. Bronze applicants must also demonstrate their ability to implement a performance improvement system. Trained Examiners review each Bronze application to determine if the center has met the demands of the criteria. As recipients of the Bronze – Commitment to Quality Award, all eight Juniper Communities may now move forward in developing approaches and achieving performance levels that meet the Silver – Achievement in Quality Award criteria.
The awards will be presented during AHCA/NCAL’s 68th Annual Convention and Exposition in Las Vegas, Nevada, October 15-18, 2017.
by Jeanine Genauer
Mary Jane Eicke, Executive Director of Juniper Village at Williamstown, was honored to present at the Alzheimer’s Foundation of America’s Educating America Tour as part of its 15th anniversary celebration. The Concepts in Care Educational Conference, held on May 19 at the Hilton Philadelphia at Penn’s Landing, provided the opportunity for people to learn from experts on topics, including: access to healthcare, transitioning from home to residential care setting, safeguarding your space, long-term care, perceptions of aging, and clinical trials and research.
With approximately 300 people in attendance, Mary Jane discussed care for the memory-impaired and Alzheimer’s disease. Juniper Village at Williamstown has received the Excellence in Care, Dementia Care Program of Distinction designation from the AFA consistently since 2010. At that time, JVW was the first in New Jersey and only one of thirty in the country to have received the honor.
“We are proud that our pioneering programs and innovatively designed environment has enabled us to be recognized by the AFA. Thanks to our dedicated staff, we are one of an elite number of communities that they believe ensure quality of life for individuals with dementia and their families; and one that provides an optimal care setting,” explained Mary Jane Eicke.
As for being asked to present at the conference, she said, “It was an honor to be asked to present by the AFA. I was very proud to be part of it.”
“You are what you eat.” The old adage is now truer than ever. Good health is largely dependent on good nutrition, so much so that doctors trace many physical and emotional ailments back to a diet deficient in vitamins and minerals. Eating a well-balanced diet is a major part of encouraging long life, lowering the incidence of disease, and helping sick people recover. On the flip side, inadequate nutrition and poor quality foods can generally cut life span and open us up to many illnesses and disease. In effect, food is medicine per Webster’s definition of medicine: “The science and art dealing with the maintenance of health and the prevention, alleviation, or cure of disease.” Food acts as medicine – to maintain, prevent, and treat disease.
With this month’s Alive in All Seasons focus on food, we’d like to give you a prescription for a healthy diet: breakfast daily (do not skip); meals x3 (at least) daily; foods from each of the food groups per meal daily. The food pyramid defines the food groups as grains, vegetables, fruits, dairy and proteins. The amounts vary according to age, sex, height, weight, and physical activity level. Here’s a good guideline to start you on your way. Make half your plate fruits and vegetables. Make half your grains whole grains. Move to low-fat and fat-free dairy. Vary your protein routine and eat and drink the right amount for you.
Join us as we continue our focus on healthy aging by shedding light on our hydration program with healthy snacks and juices, and demonstrate how food and nutrition help us to Live in Wellness from a dietitian’s point of view.
Our fabulous June 2017 events at Juniper Communities include our:
- Communication with Persons that Have Hearing Loss with Jack French, owner of Zounds of Lancaster Hearing Center, who will discuss strategies, techniques and tips that enable good quality communication whether the individual wears hearing aids or not; there is no cost to attend this informational session that will be held in The Club of the Community House and a complimentary breakfast will be provided on June 7th from 9:00 am to 10:30 am in Lebanon, PA at Juniper Village at Lebanon.
- Educational Event Managing Emotions for a special presentation and discussion, as we welcome our guest speakers from Comfort Keepers and The Dubin’s Center for Alzheimer’s, because in follow up to our dementia sensitivity class, many individuals asked for additional information on how to manage emotions when dealing with the behavioral and cognitive changes that comes with caring for individuals with dementia, and this educational event will give you the tools you need as light refreshments are served on June 14th from 3:00 pm to 4:00 pm in Cape Coral, FL at Juniper Village at Cape Coral.
- Father’s Day Luncheon as Michael Jordan once said, “My father used to say that it’s never too late to do anything you wanted to do; you never know what you can accomplish until you try,” so please join us in our Main Dining Room as we pay tribute with family, friends and community neighbors to wise and amazing fathers everywhere on June 19th at noon in Denver, CO at Juniper Village at The Spearly Center.
- Dinner & Discussion Live in Wellness Dietary Needs for Seniors to join our registered dietician, Katherine Haar, for this informative and delicious take on what we need to keep our bodies operating well at any age while we enjoy a delectable dinner featuring a grilled corn and pepper salad, flank steak, and oven roasted potatoes on June 21st at 5:30 pm in State College, PA at Juniper Village at Brookline.
- Wine & Cheese a wonderful opportunity to taste and learn about a topic that has been discussed and mulled over for centuries, so join us as Stuart Liss, a sommelier, orchestrates the pairing of wine and cheese because choosing the right combinations can be overwhelming and downright complicated on June 21st at 6:30 pm in Chatham, NJ at Juniper Village at Chatham.
- Benefits of Hydration because hydration is key to staying and feeling healthy, but in the elderly, this regulation system may no longer function properly making dehydration more common and adequate hydration even more important, so join us as Muriel Myers, Juniper Village’s Wellness Director, discusses the benefits of hydration and provides tips on what you can do to increase your fluid intake and maintain a healthy hydration level on June 28th at 6:00 pm in Pittsburgh, PA at Juniper Village at Forest Hills.
We look forward to sharing our June 2017 events at Juniper Communities with you as you Live In Wellness.
May 2017 Events
by Tara Williamson
Continuing our Spring Alive In All Seasons focus on healthy again, we continue to let wellbeing thrive with a May focus on Fitness. Staying fit throughout all seasons of life is possible and at Juniper we promote fitness every day of the week! We recently shared on our Facebook page a New York Times story, authored by Gretchen Reynolds, providing results from the Mayo Clinic who recently conducted an experiment on the cells of 72 healthy but sedentary men and women who were 30 or younger or older than 64. The volunteers were randomly assigned to a particular exercise regimen. There were some unsurprising differences: The gains in muscle mass and strength were greater for those who exercised only with weights, while interval training had the strongest influence on endurance. But more unexpected results were found in the biopsied muscle cells. It seems as if the decline in the cellular health of muscles associated with aging was “corrected” with exercise, especially if it was intense, says Dr. Sreekumaran Nair, a professor of medicine and an endocrinologist at the Mayo Clinic and the study’s senior author. In fact, older people’s cells responded in some ways more robustly to intense exercise than the cells of the young did. So pick up those weights, get on that bike and remember it’s never too late to benefit from exercise. And if you’re not doing so already, follow us on social media so you don’t miss a thing.
We invite you to Grow Strong Daily along with us with programs such as Fitness Five and our Route 66 Walking Program. Learn more about fitness and keeping your heart healthy at our Heart Healthy Luncheon and educational presentation. Staying fit throughout all seasons of life is possible.
Our fabulous May 2017 events at Juniper Communities include our:
- Cinco de Mayo Mixer to enjoy a frosty cold margarita, spicy appetizers and a wonderful opportunity to network with other professionals in our community, and this month’s fitness focus may even lead us to spontaneously break into a Mexican Hat Dance, so join us by grabbing your sombrero and mariachis to revitalize after a busy day on May 5th from 2:00 pm to 4:00 pm in Sharon, PA at Juniper Village at The Shenango Inn. (RSVP by May 1st to 724-347-4000.)
- Hospice and Assisted Living Partners in Caring an educational forum that will outline the partnership between Hospice and Assisted Living services to learn how they complement each other in the care of the resident on hospice on May 18th from 3:30 pm to 4:30 pm in Naples, FL at Juniper Village at Naples. (RSVP by May 11th to Dinelle at 239-598-1368.)
- Mother’s Day “Par-tea” for the special woman in your life to enjoy a variety of refreshing teas and beverages paired with dessert – delights to suit any lady’s fancy on May 12th from 5:30 pm to 6:30 pm in Mount Joy, PA at Juniper Village at Mount Joy. (RSVP by May 4th at 717-492-9692.)
- Lunch and Learn Importance of Movement as We Age with Genesis Rehab as they share with us the importance of staying flexible and why maintaining your range of motion is so vital as we age with a heart-healthy lunch served on May 17th at noon in Meadville, PA at Juniper Village at Meadville. (RSVP by May 16th at 814-333-4400.)
- Happy Hour with Doc Molly for cheers, beers, and Q&A’s as we have fun and get fit with knowledge on how to remain independent, healthy, strong, and whole during this light-hearted lecture on healthy aging through all seasons of life on May 25th from 3:00 pm to 5:00 pm in Aurora, CO at Juniper Village at Aurora.
- Memorial Day Celebration for a tribute as we honor those who have bravely served our country as we share an afternoon of food, music and stories about the men and woman that served our country in the past and are currently still serving in our armed forces, while we hear from our own Resident Associate Sarah about how proud she is to serve our country, so we look forward to sharing this special day with you on May 29th at 3:00 pm in Williamstown, NJ at Juniper Village at Williamstown.
We look forward to sharing our May 2017 events at Juniper Communities with you as you Grow Strong Daily.