by Tara Williamson
Each April we begin our Healthy Aging Series with a focus on brain health, and encourage you to Believe in Yourself. We know that believing in yourself has a positive effect on your mental health, but did you know that self-confidence influences your physical health as well? Recent studies show people who exhibit self-confidence are generally healthier and tend to live longer. That’s because confidence is a positive emotion and positive emotions have countless health benefits for your mind, body and spirit. In nurturing wellbeing by encouraging an active body, an engaged mind and a fulfilled spirit, Juniper is also building self-confidence. The link between health and confidence also may be related to the ability of positive emotions to boost our brain’s power to hold attention, be aware and remember things. We are better able to learn, build new skills and relate with others when we are feeling optimistic. Also confident people are better able to handle chaotic situations in a positive manner. This helps to reduce or avoid excessive stress, high blood pressure, anger, confusion – all the negative side effects of feeling powerless, overwhelmed and out of control.
If you need to kick start your confidence, here are a few things to try: smile; count your blessings; surround yourself with confident people; learn how others have found their confidence and follow their lead; challenge negative or inaccurate thinking and replace with accurate, constructive thoughts; and encourage yourself. You can also plan to join us this month for uplifting discussions and a focus on brain health with offerings such as Daily Brain Builders, Wii games, and a Brain Healthy Luncheon.
Our fabulous April 2017 events at Juniper Communities include our:
- 4th Annual Spring Egg Hunt as all little ones up to age 10 are invited to hunt for colorful eggs in our charming courtyards at this wonderful opportunity to experience the warmth that comes from sharing special moments with your friends and family at Juniper Village because everyone is welcome for this complimentary community event on April 1st from 2:00 pm to 3:00 pm in Lebanon, PA at Juniper Village at Lebanon.
- Feed Your Mind because you are what you eat, we join Dr. Jacinda Hover as she delves into the world of anti-inflammatory foods, and how what we eat affects so much more than our grumbling tummies, so come and bring a friend to what promises to be an insightful presentation on April 5th at 4:00 pm in Chatham, NJ at Juniper Village at Chatham.
- Lee County Sheriff’s Presentation as we are proud to welcome back our special guest speakers whose topic will be Tips and Tricks on avoiding Scam Artists during this program that will provide information on what to look out for when someone has bad intentions, such as scammers who are looking for a way to get your money; this event is open to all Lee County residents, families, caregivers and area professionals, and light refreshments will be served on April 10th from 3:00 pm to 4:00 pm in Cape Coral, FL at Juniper Village at Cape Coral.
- “Poems From Life” An Evening of Original Poetry Inspired by Real-Life Events because each of us has our own unique story to tell, so in collaboration with local poets, we will bring to life the amazing, inspiring, thought-provoking, and heartwarming stories of some of the incredible individuals who live in our Juniper Village at Brookline community, then please stay for refreshments and an opportunity to meet the faces behind the stories as Juniper Village is proud to partner with the PA Center for the Book and Penn State Libraries for this very special event on April 11th at 6:30 pm in State College, PA at Juniper Village at Brookline.
- Seniors For Safe Driving Course to improve your abilities and lower your insurance premiums with this 1/2 day seminar that is only $16.00 and is designed for drivers over the age of 55 who want to receive a 5% discount on their automobile insurance premium for 3 years after taking the course on April 18th from 9:00 am to 1:00 pm in Pittsburgh, PA at Juniper Village at Forest Hills.
- Linked Senior and Dinner To Go to learn about the newest brain stimulation program, Linked Senior, that Nurtures the Spirit of Life here at Juniper Village and receive dinner to take home on April 27th from 4:30 pm to 5:30 pm in Louisville, CO at Juniper Village at Louisville.
We look forward to sharing our April 2017 events at Juniper Communities with you as you Believe in Yourself.