“You are what you eat.” The old adage is now truer than ever. Good health is largely dependent on good nutrition, so much so that doctors trace many physical and emotional ailments back to a diet deficient in vitamins and minerals. Eating a well-balanced diet is a major part of encouraging long life, lowering the incidence of disease, and helping sick people recover. On the flip side, inadequate nutrition and poor quality foods can generally cut life span and open us up to many illnesses and disease. In effect, food is medicine per Webster’s definition of medicine: “The science and art dealing with the maintenance of health and the prevention, alleviation, or cure of disease.” Food acts as medicine – to maintain, prevent, and treat disease.
With this month’s Alive in All Seasons focus on food, we’d like to give you a prescription for a healthy diet: breakfast daily (do not skip); meals x3 (at least) daily; foods from each of the food groups per meal daily. The food pyramid defines the food groups as grains, vegetables, fruits, dairy and proteins. The amounts vary according to age, sex, height, weight, and physical activity level. Here’s a good guideline to start you on your way. Make half your plate fruits and vegetables. Make half your grains whole grains. Move to low-fat and fat-free dairy. Vary your protein routine and eat and drink the right amount for you.
Join us as we continue our focus on healthy aging by shedding light on our hydration program with healthy snacks and juices, and demonstrate how food and nutrition help us to Live in Wellness from a dietitian’s point of view.
Our fabulous June 2017 events at Juniper Communities include our:
- Communication with Persons that Have Hearing Loss with Jack French, owner of Zounds of Lancaster Hearing Center, who will discuss strategies, techniques and tips that enable good quality communication whether the individual wears hearing aids or not; there is no cost to attend this informational session that will be held in The Club of the Community House and a complimentary breakfast will be provided on June 7th from 9:00 am to 10:30 am in Lebanon, PA at Juniper Village at Lebanon.
- Educational Event Managing Emotions for a special presentation and discussion, as we welcome our guest speakers from Comfort Keepers and The Dubin’s Center for Alzheimer’s, because in follow up to our dementia sensitivity class, many individuals asked for additional information on how to manage emotions when dealing with the behavioral and cognitive changes that comes with caring for individuals with dementia, and this educational event will give you the tools you need as light refreshments are served on June 14th from 3:00 pm to 4:00 pm in Cape Coral, FL at Juniper Village at Cape Coral.
- Father’s Day Luncheon as Michael Jordan once said, “My father used to say that it’s never too late to do anything you wanted to do; you never know what you can accomplish until you try,” so please join us in our Main Dining Room as we pay tribute with family, friends and community neighbors to wise and amazing fathers everywhere on June 19th at noon in Denver, CO at Juniper Village at The Spearly Center.
- Dinner & Discussion Live in Wellness Dietary Needs for Seniors to join our registered dietician, Katherine Haar, for this informative and delicious take on what we need to keep our bodies operating well at any age while we enjoy a delectable dinner featuring a grilled corn and pepper salad, flank steak, and oven roasted potatoes on June 21st at 5:30 pm in State College, PA at Juniper Village at Brookline.
- Wine & Cheese a wonderful opportunity to taste and learn about a topic that has been discussed and mulled over for centuries, so join us as Stuart Liss, a sommelier, orchestrates the pairing of wine and cheese because choosing the right combinations can be overwhelming and downright complicated on June 21st at 6:30 pm in Chatham, NJ at Juniper Village at Chatham.
- Benefits of Hydration because hydration is key to staying and feeling healthy, but in the elderly, this regulation system may no longer function properly making dehydration more common and adequate hydration even more important, so join us as Muriel Myers, Juniper Village’s Wellness Director, discusses the benefits of hydration and provides tips on what you can do to increase your fluid intake and maintain a healthy hydration level on June 28th at 6:00 pm in Pittsburgh, PA at Juniper Village at Forest Hills.
We look forward to sharing our June 2017 events at Juniper Communities with you as you Live In Wellness.
May 2017 Events
by Tara Williamson
Continuing our Spring Alive In All Seasons focus on healthy again, we continue to let wellbeing thrive with a May focus on Fitness. Staying fit throughout all seasons of life is possible and at Juniper we promote fitness every day of the week! We recently shared on our Facebook page a New York Times story, authored by Gretchen Reynolds, providing results from the Mayo Clinic who recently conducted an experiment on the cells of 72 healthy but sedentary men and women who were 30 or younger or older than 64. The volunteers were randomly assigned to a particular exercise regimen. There were some unsurprising differences: The gains in muscle mass and strength were greater for those who exercised only with weights, while interval training had the strongest influence on endurance. But more unexpected results were found in the biopsied muscle cells. It seems as if the decline in the cellular health of muscles associated with aging was “corrected” with exercise, especially if it was intense, says Dr. Sreekumaran Nair, a professor of medicine and an endocrinologist at the Mayo Clinic and the study’s senior author. In fact, older people’s cells responded in some ways more robustly to intense exercise than the cells of the young did. So pick up those weights, get on that bike and remember it’s never too late to benefit from exercise. And if you’re not doing so already, follow us on social media so you don’t miss a thing.
We invite you to Grow Strong Daily along with us with programs such as Fitness Five and our Route 66 Walking Program. Learn more about fitness and keeping your heart healthy at our Heart Healthy Luncheon and educational presentation. Staying fit throughout all seasons of life is possible.
Our fabulous May 2017 events at Juniper Communities include our:
- Cinco de Mayo Mixer to enjoy a frosty cold margarita, spicy appetizers and a wonderful opportunity to network with other professionals in our community, and this month’s fitness focus may even lead us to spontaneously break into a Mexican Hat Dance, so join us by grabbing your sombrero and mariachis to revitalize after a busy day on May 5th from 2:00 pm to 4:00 pm in Sharon, PA at Juniper Village at The Shenango Inn. (RSVP by May 1st to 724-347-4000.)
- Hospice and Assisted Living Partners in Caring an educational forum that will outline the partnership between Hospice and Assisted Living services to learn how they complement each other in the care of the resident on hospice on May 18th from 3:30 pm to 4:30 pm in Naples, FL at Juniper Village at Naples. (RSVP by May 11th to Dinelle at 239-598-1368.)
- Mother’s Day “Par-tea” for the special woman in your life to enjoy a variety of refreshing teas and beverages paired with dessert – delights to suit any lady’s fancy on May 12th from 5:30 pm to 6:30 pm in Mount Joy, PA at Juniper Village at Mount Joy. (RSVP by May 4th at 717-492-9692.)
- Lunch and Learn Importance of Movement as We Age with Genesis Rehab as they share with us the importance of staying flexible and why maintaining your range of motion is so vital as we age with a heart-healthy lunch served on May 17th at noon in Meadville, PA at Juniper Village at Meadville. (RSVP by May 16th at 814-333-4400.)
- Happy Hour with Doc Molly for cheers, beers, and Q&A’s as we have fun and get fit with knowledge on how to remain independent, healthy, strong, and whole during this light-hearted lecture on healthy aging through all seasons of life on May 25th from 3:00 pm to 5:00 pm in Aurora, CO at Juniper Village at Aurora.
- Memorial Day Celebration for a tribute as we honor those who have bravely served our country as we share an afternoon of food, music and stories about the men and woman that served our country in the past and are currently still serving in our armed forces, while we hear from our own Resident Associate Sarah about how proud she is to serve our country, so we look forward to sharing this special day with you on May 29th at 3:00 pm in Williamstown, NJ at Juniper Village at Williamstown.
We look forward to sharing our May 2017 events at Juniper Communities with you as you Grow Strong Daily.
April 2017 Events
by Tara Williamson
Each April we begin our Healthy Aging Series with a focus on brain health, and encourage you to Believe in Yourself. We know that believing in yourself has a positive effect on your mental health, but did you know that self-confidence influences your physical health as well? Recent studies show people who exhibit self-confidence are generally healthier and tend to live longer. That’s because confidence is a positive emotion and positive emotions have countless health benefits for your mind, body and spirit. In nurturing wellbeing by encouraging an active body, an engaged mind and a fulfilled spirit, Juniper is also building self-confidence. The link between health and confidence also may be related to the ability of positive emotions to boost our brain’s power to hold attention, be aware and remember things. We are better able to learn, build new skills and relate with others when we are feeling optimistic. Also confident people are better able to handle chaotic situations in a positive manner. This helps to reduce or avoid excessive stress, high blood pressure, anger, confusion – all the negative side effects of feeling powerless, overwhelmed and out of control.
If you need to kick start your confidence, here are a few things to try: smile; count your blessings; surround yourself with confident people; learn how others have found their confidence and follow their lead; challenge negative or inaccurate thinking and replace with accurate, constructive thoughts; and encourage yourself. You can also plan to join us this month for uplifting discussions and a focus on brain health with offerings such as Daily Brain Builders, Wii games, and a Brain Healthy Luncheon.
Our fabulous April 2017 events at Juniper Communities include our:
- 4th Annual Spring Egg Hunt as all little ones up to age 10 are invited to hunt for colorful eggs in our charming courtyards at this wonderful opportunity to experience the warmth that comes from sharing special moments with your friends and family at Juniper Village because everyone is welcome for this complimentary community event on April 1st from 2:00 pm to 3:00 pm in Lebanon, PA at Juniper Village at Lebanon.
- Feed Your Mind because you are what you eat, we join Dr. Jacinda Hover as she delves into the world of anti-inflammatory foods, and how what we eat affects so much more than our grumbling tummies, so come and bring a friend to what promises to be an insightful presentation on April 5th at 4:00 pm in Chatham, NJ at Juniper Village at Chatham.
- Lee County Sheriff’s Presentation as we are proud to welcome back our special guest speakers whose topic will be Tips and Tricks on avoiding Scam Artists during this program that will provide information on what to look out for when someone has bad intentions, such as scammers who are looking for a way to get your money; this event is open to all Lee County residents, families, caregivers and area professionals, and light refreshments will be served on April 10th from 3:00 pm to 4:00 pm in Cape Coral, FL at Juniper Village at Cape Coral.
- “Poems From Life” An Evening of Original Poetry Inspired by Real-Life Events because each of us has our own unique story to tell, so in collaboration with local poets, we will bring to life the amazing, inspiring, thought-provoking, and heartwarming stories of some of the incredible individuals who live in our Juniper Village at Brookline community, then please stay for refreshments and an opportunity to meet the faces behind the stories as Juniper Village is proud to partner with the PA Center for the Book and Penn State Libraries for this very special event on April 11th at 6:30 pm in State College, PA at Juniper Village at Brookline.
- Seniors For Safe Driving Course to improve your abilities and lower your insurance premiums with this 1/2 day seminar that is only $16.00 and is designed for drivers over the age of 55 who want to receive a 5% discount on their automobile insurance premium for 3 years after taking the course on April 18th from 9:00 am to 1:00 pm in Pittsburgh, PA at Juniper Village at Forest Hills.
- Linked Senior and Dinner To Go to learn about the newest brain stimulation program, Linked Senior, that Nurtures the Spirit of Life here at Juniper Village and receive dinner to take home on April 27th from 4:30 pm to 5:30 pm in Louisville, CO at Juniper Village at Louisville.
We look forward to sharing our April 2017 events at Juniper Communities with you as you Believe in Yourself.
March 2017 Events
by Tara Williamson
Theatrical readings, colorful costumed dancers and spectacular vocal performances bring to a close our creative expression quarterly theme with a focus on performance and honoring our inner treasure – our self-worth. With so many demands on our time these days, it’s easy to always put others first and forget to care of ourselves. Also as we get older, retire from work and in some cases caretaking, we may forget our sense of value – our self-worth. A large part of nurturing the spirit of life is providing opportunities for purpose.
This month we will put an even greater focus on identifying our continued purpose and self-worth by performing purposeful activities, reminiscing and creating opportunities to treasure ourselves. Motivational speaker Anne Naylor offers these tips to help you treasure yourself: Treasure your thoughts with kindness – nurture your thoughts of gratitude and appreciation. Treasure your feelings and emotions – observe and use them as your guide. Treasure your body – treat it well with exercise, nourishment, rest, joy and laughter. Treasure your spirit – breathe, meditate and enjoy the goodness in your life. We hope you all enjoy the treasure of your wonderful self.
Please join us as we dramatically embrace performance throughout March with our weekly drama club, outings to live theatrical performances and our Oscar-themed party. Celebrate the Irish culture in grand style with our Saint Patrick’s Day event filled with food, fun and, of course, dancing! Honor yourself and recognize Your Treasure is Within this month at Juniper Village!
Our fabulous March 2017 events at Juniper Communities include our:
- Spearly Red Carpet Awards Ceremony because it’s Oscars season, and The Spearly Center would like to celebrate our residents, so we would like to invite friends and family to our Spearly Red Carpet Awards Ceremony in our Main Dining Room as awards will be presented in various categories from Best Dressed, Most Humble, Best Connections Participant, and many more; this event will be exciting and will bring out the best in anyone, and we would love to see you there on March 2nd at 11:00 am in Denver, CO at Juniper Village at The Spearly Center.
- Alive in All Season Dinner and Blarney Blast with Kirk Hamza for a Traditional Irish Musical Event as Kirk will be in full bloom with his accordion and dinner will be an Irish Pub Salad with Tarragon Dressing, Irish Stew, Soda Bread and Chocolate Guinness Stout Cake on March 9th at 4:40 pm in Meadville, PA at Juniper Village at Meadville. (RSVP by March 5th at 814-333-4400.)
- The Amazing Chris Ivey as all ages are invited to this high energy, exciting juggling show that features swords and stunts by local favorite, Chris Ivey, whose show will keep you at the edge of your seat, and following the excitement stay to share in an intergenerational ice cream party with a variety of ice cream novelties will be available at this free event, so we hope you will come and be amazed on March 9th at 6:30 pm in Mount Joy, PA at Juniper Village at Mount Joy. (Please RSVP by March 8th to 717-492-9692.)
- Peak Fitness Performance Presentation by The Genesis Team continuing with our focus on performance, we are happy to host this educational presentation by our Genesis/Theralink team who will demonstrate the health benefits of utilizing every opportunity to attain peak performance in our fitness regime, while enjoying friends at the same time, so join us as we attain “Peak Fitness Performance” together on March 20th at 1:30 pm in Williamstown, NJ at Juniper Village at Williamstown.
- Second Wind Dreams’ Virtual Dementia Simulation by Oasis Senior Advisors that recreates the most realistic scenario utilizing a home-like environment to depict what it is like for someone living day to day with Dementia in a mobile, hands on experience that you won’t want to miss on March 23rd from 10:00 am to 4:00 pm in Naples, FL at Juniper Village at Naples. (Please RSVP by March 18th to schedule your tour time with Dinelle at 239-598-1368.)
- Swarovski Crystals Open House with earrings, bracelets and necklaces in many shapes and all the colors of the rainbow will be available for your design pleasure at an affordable price; all metals are of the finest quality from Israel and the crystals are certified Swarovski, so bring your friends and design your own unique creation or purchase from other beautifully hand-created designs, plus refreshments will be served and community tours are available on March 29th from 1:00 pm to 5:30 pm in Sharon, PA at Juniper Village at The Shenango Inn. (Inquiries please call 724-347-4000.)
We look forward to sharing our March 2017 events at Juniper Communities with you as Your Treasure is Within.