by Tara Williamson
As the air begins to cool and summer wanes, Juniper Communities ends our “Stay Connected” series by recognizing Friendship and Joy. What is it that brings you joy? Is it the wet nose of a newborn pup? The smile of your first grandchild? The taste of a triple chocolate ice cream cone? Whatever it is we invite you to share that joy with others at Juniper Village this month.
Much attention has been paid to studies regarding the effects of stress on your health, but what about the effects of joy? The landmark “Nun Study,” as it’s often known, revealed that positive emotion is correlated with longevity: 90% of the most cheerful quarter of nuns was alive at the age of eighty-five, whereas only 34% of the least cheerful quarter lived to that age. Similarly, 54% of the most cheerful fourth was alive at age ninety-four, versus 11% of the least cheerful. Of the 678 sisters in the original study about four dozen are still living. So go ahead, grab that triple chocolate cone it might just extend your life!
This month we invite you to “Spread Your Joy” as we honor our friendships in our Red Hat and Villager clubs and our Best Friends events; get our hands dirty at our Friendship Daffodil Project; and celebrate with our Birthday Party and House Warming Initiatives.
Our fabulous September 2015 events at Juniper Communities include our:
- Spearly Sidekick Spread Your Joy Social as we cordially invite friends, family and neighbors to this sampling of “spreads” to celebrate friendship, so join us on our Outdoor Patio with a variety of fruit, vegetable and cheese spreads and spread the joy of friendship on September 10th at 2:30 pm in Denver, CO at Juniper Village at The Spearly Center.
- Family Fun Day for this wonderful celebration on our great lawn, so bring the whole family for this fun-filled afternoon where we have it all; picnic, activities, and entertainment, including WDHA radio on-site broadcasting live, sponsored by Juniper Village as well as HomeWell Senior Care, Care One Whippany, Pine Acres Rehabilitation Center, Visiting Angels Living Assistance Services, Oasis Senior Advisors, and Compassionate Care Hospice on September 12th from 11:00 am to 1:00 pm in Chatham, NJ at Juniper Village at Chatham.
- Drum Circle Therapy as Wendy and Scott Gilbert of Drum2B1 will share their passion and the therapeutic benefits of “beating the drum” during this hands-on Drum Circle session will lift your spirit on September 17th at 6:00 pm in Lebanon, PA at Juniper Village at Lebanon.
- 8th Annual COMEONIWANNAMEETCHLUA Aloha celebration featuring entertainment by Bob and Joan accompanied by delicious fresh foods, refreshing beverages, and a festive atmosphere on September 18th at 2:30 pm in Cape Coral, FL at Juniper Village at Cape Coral.
- Spaghetti Dinner and Bake Sale Fundraiser for Big Brothers/Big Sisters for a sit-down or take-out meal and delicious treats with a program that will teach you how you can make a difference in the life of a very special child through Centre County’s Children and Youth initiative that fosters positive friendships on September 23rd at 5:00 pm in State College, PA at Juniper Village at Brookline.
- Seniors for Safe Driving Course seminar designed for drivers over the age of 55 who want to improve their driver’s safety and receive a 5% discount on their automobile insurance premium for 3 years after taking the course on September 29th from 9:00 am to 4:00 pm in Pittsburgh, PA at Juniper Village at Forest Hills. (RSVP to 1.800.559.4880; cost is $16.00 and pre-registration is required.)
We look forward to sharing our September 2015 events at Juniper Communities with you as we Spread Your Joy.