by Tara Williamson
Continuing our Spring Alive In All Seasons focus on healthy again, we continue to let wellbeing thrive with a May focus on Fitness. Staying fit throughout all seasons of life is possible and at Juniper we promote fitness every day of the week! We recently shared on our Facebook page a New York Times story, authored by Gretchen Reynolds, providing results from the Mayo Clinic who recently conducted an experiment on the cells of 72 healthy but sedentary men and women who were 30 or younger or older than 64. The volunteers were randomly assigned to a particular exercise regimen. There were some unsurprising differences: The gains in muscle mass and strength were greater for those who exercised only with weights, while interval training had the strongest influence on endurance. But more unexpected results were found in the biopsied muscle cells. It seems as if the decline in the cellular health of muscles associated with aging was “corrected” with exercise, especially if it was intense, says Dr. Sreekumaran Nair, a professor of medicine and an endocrinologist at the Mayo Clinic and the study’s senior author. In fact, older people’s cells responded in some ways more robustly to intense exercise than the cells of the young did. So pick up those weights, get on that bike and remember it’s never too late to benefit from exercise. And if you’re not doing so already, follow us on social media so you don’t miss a thing.
We invite you to Grow Strong Daily along with us with programs such as Fitness Five and our Route 66 Walking Program. Learn more about fitness and keeping your heart healthy at our Heart Healthy Luncheon and educational presentation. Staying fit throughout all seasons of life is possible.
Our fabulous May 2017 events at Juniper Communities include our:
- Cinco de Mayo Mixer to enjoy a frosty cold margarita, spicy appetizers and a wonderful opportunity to network with other professionals in our community, and this month’s fitness focus may even lead us to spontaneously break into a Mexican Hat Dance, so join us by grabbing your sombrero and mariachis to revitalize after a busy day on May 5th from 2:00 pm to 4:00 pm in Sharon, PA at Juniper Village at The Shenango Inn. (RSVP by May 1st to 724-347-4000.)
- Hospice and Assisted Living Partners in Caring an educational forum that will outline the partnership between Hospice and Assisted Living services to learn how they complement each other in the care of the resident on hospice on May 18th from 3:30 pm to 4:30 pm in Naples, FL at Juniper Village at Naples. (RSVP by May 11th to Dinelle at 239-598-1368.)
- Mother’s Day “Par-tea” for the special woman in your life to enjoy a variety of refreshing teas and beverages paired with dessert – delights to suit any lady’s fancy on May 12th from 5:30 pm to 6:30 pm in Mount Joy, PA at Juniper Village at Mount Joy. (RSVP by May 4th at 717-492-9692.)
- Lunch and Learn Importance of Movement as We Age with Genesis Rehab as they share with us the importance of staying flexible and why maintaining your range of motion is so vital as we age with a heart-healthy lunch served on May 17th at noon in Meadville, PA at Juniper Village at Meadville. (RSVP by May 16th at 814-333-4400.)
- Happy Hour with Doc Molly for cheers, beers, and Q&A’s as we have fun and get fit with knowledge on how to remain independent, healthy, strong, and whole during this light-hearted lecture on healthy aging through all seasons of life on May 25th from 3:00 pm to 5:00 pm in Aurora, CO at Juniper Village at Aurora.
- Memorial Day Celebration for a tribute as we honor those who have bravely served our country as we share an afternoon of food, music and stories about the men and woman that served our country in the past and are currently still serving in our armed forces, while we hear from our own Resident Associate Sarah about how proud she is to serve our country, so we look forward to sharing this special day with you on May 29th at 3:00 pm in Williamstown, NJ at Juniper Village at Williamstown.
We look forward to sharing our May 2017 events at Juniper Communities with you as you Grow Strong Daily.